Powell offered these basic tips on how everyone can stay safe in an urban environment.
LGBT Safety Seminar
Crime Stoppers Atlanta
• When possible, use ATMs only during the day.
• Avoid walking alone at night unless absolutely necessary.
• Keep to well lit, commonly traveled routes.
• Avoid shortcuts and dark, isolated areas.
• Walk purposefully, know where you are going, project a no-nonsense image.
• Avoid potentially dangerous situations.
• Always take a phone with you in case you need to make an emergency call.
• A crime or an emergency can happen at anytime, so always be ready for everything in advance, and be aware of your surroundings.
• Take a martial arts class or carrying a self-defense device like pepper spray.
• Be careful who you interact with on the internet. Don’t be lulled into a sense of comfort by simply chatting with a person online for several weeks. Criminals are methodical and patient, Maj. Keith Meadows said, and can lure you into feeling safe before meeting in public and then robbing you or committing another violent act.