1. “I just froze for about 10 seconds. I kind of knew but I didn’t want the answer to be yes. One of the first things he said was, ‘Mom don’t cry.’ ” Here’s Derrick Gordon’s family’s reaction to him coming out. The UMASS basketball player is the first active openly gay Division I basketball player.
2. “It seems to me, a lot of questions about gay athletes, were the same questions they used to ask about us.” NBA legend Bill Russell draws comparisons between the African-American civil rights struggles and the LGBT ones.
3. The Atlantic with a piece on “Why Gay Marriage Opponents Should Not Be Treated Like Racists.”
4. Add Ethiopia to the list of African countries looking to publicly demonize their LGBT community. An anti-gay demonstration will be held April 26 and the parliament is considering homosexual acts ineligible for presidential pardons.
5. ‘We were mad. We’d had enough – and music was our best option.” The Guardian has a report on gay country music stars.
(photo via Rainbow Ethiopia Health & Rights Initiative)