1. Tori Johnson, a gay man who was one of two killed in Monday’s hostage situation in Sydney, is being called a hero after dying while reportedly trying to take the gunman down.
2. “We’re marching as veterans who happen to be gay. We honor the sacrifices of LGBT veterans and their families and the sacrifices all veterans.” For the first time, a group representing the gay community will be allowed to march in Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
3. Openly gay pro soccer player Robbie Rogers inspires a gay West Virginia teen and all-state goalie to come out in a very public way—dancing with the homecoming king.
4. “If we ever want to get to a place where people aren’t being killed for who they are, it’s important that students know people who are gay and are learning that difference isn’t inherently threatening.” The Atlantic on the plight of being a gay teacher.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: The trailer from “Cucumber,” “Banana,” and “Tofu,” an interconnected trilogy series from “Queer As Folk” creator Russell T. Davies, airing on LOGO in 2015.