1. At his Senate confirmation hearing yesterday, Dr. Ben Carson (who’s been nominated as Housing and Urban Development secretary by Donald Trump) responded to a question about LGBT discrimination by saying he would “enforce the laws of the land,” while also making sure no one got “extra rights.” Considering LGBT Americans are still fighting for equal rights, no one is entirely sure what those “extra rights” might entail.
2. Texas state Rep. Celia Israel (D-Austin), a Latina lesbian, plans to challenge the state’s proposed “bathroom bill” during this legislative session. She intends to work with the business community in her district to come out against the bill and its potential economic consequences, as witnessed when North Carolina put its similar bill in place last year.
3. A Maryland man was acquitted of murder charges against a transwoman earlier this week. Shawn Oliver was charged in the 2014 slaying of Mia Henderson, the sister of a NBA player.
4. The Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus doesn’t trust Betsy Kos’ (Trump’s pick for education secretary) record on LGBT equality one bit. So they wrote a letter to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, urging committee members to take a closer look at the nominee and what her appointment may mean for LGBT students.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: Musician and ally Dyllan Murray’s new single about equality, “No Wrong Way feat. Kira Kosarin,” is out now. Sales will benefit GLAAD and The Trevor Project. Check out the music video, which features both a gay and a trans/cis relationship: