1. “The truth is, the image of the southern elite is kinda gay, and Schweitzer’s not a homophobe – he was just boning up on some good ol’-fashioned populist elite-hating.” A gay Guardian journalist from the south says former Montana governor and 2016 presidential candidate Brian Schweitzer had a point in his comments last week about effeminate southern men.
2. “The Case Against 8,” the HBO documentary on the legal battle to strike down Prop 8, premieres tonight at 9 p.m. EST. Check out our coverage of the Atlanta premiere here, as well as Ryan Lee’s column that references the documentary in talking about how we need to focus on more than marriage when talking about LGBT rights.
3. A vigil was held yesterday for a Fort Myers, Florida trans woman whose badly burned body was found behind a dumpster. Fort Myers police are investigating it as a homicide, but apparently not as a hate crime.
4. Here are excerpts and photos from the book “We Are the Youth,” a photojournalism project that chronicles the stories of LGBT youth in America. It includes an entry from a 19-year-old Korean man from Duluth.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: Don’t miss recently out hit singer Sam Smith’s beautiful, slowed-down cover of Whitney Houston’s “How Will I Know.”