1. Young Republicans are outpacing the general public as a whole in support for same-sex marriage, according to a new poll by the Pew Research Center. 61% of Republicans under 30 favor same-sex marriage versus 54% in favor regardless of age or party affiliation. Meanwhile, just 27% of Republicans over 50 support same-sex marriage. And the students have become the teachers…
2. The head bishop of the United Methodist Church in New York announced the end of church trials in his region for ministers who perform same-sex marriages. This will allow ministers to conduct ceremonies still prohibited under the denomination’s laws. Bishop Martin D. McLee is the first sitting United Methodist bishop to publicly make such a pledge.
3. Meet some brave allies out in Uganda. Right activists who are part of the Civil Society Coalition on Human Rights and Constitutional Law have petitioned Uganda’s constitutional court in a case challenging the new anti-gay measure recently signed into law.
4. “It is illegal to be gay in 38 African countries, and punishable by death in four.” The Washington Post has a report about how African gays in the US have “flooded” legal aid groups with pleas for help, especially political asylum, in the wake of anti-gay laws spreading in their home countries.
5. Graham crackers started tasting just a little sweeter this morning. Honey Maid, the 90-year-old graham cracker brand, debuted their new ad campaign “This Is Wholesome,” featuring gay and interracial couples, a tattooed punk rock musician and a single father. Check out the video above.
(screenshot via YouTube)