1. “The world lost someone who did a whole lot more for the LGBT community than we realize or understand.” ABC News on how Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps, who died late Wednesday, ultimately helped the LGBT rights movement.
2. Here’s more on the three Illinois Republicans who voted for marriage equality last November and ended up winning reelection this week, despite an all-out attack on them by anti-gay groups.
3. “Ironically, at first glance, this makes it appear that an increase in political and social acceptance for LGBT in Americans is accompanied by a fall in economic standing. Progress isn’t making gays and lesbians poor though, but it is allowing more poor people to acknowledge their sexuality.” The Atlantic takes a look at “The myth of gay affluence.”
4. “No we don’t want twin beds.” The Guardian on “The changing face of gay travel.”
5. “I just wanted to be me, and I never had any idea this would happen.” A Missouri Baptist college rejected a student’s request for re-admission because he came out of the closet on Facebook while on leave from the school.
(photo via Chicago Phoenix)