1. “Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties.” Soccer star Megan Rapinoe knelt during the National Anthem before a game Sunday night in a show of solidarity with San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who has been doing the same to protest police brutality and state racism.
2. The New York Times’ Frank Bruni breaks down the impact the issue of LGBT rights is having on the 2016 election.
3. “The family is under assault and being destroyed, and this is one more nail in the coffin, and that’s why I have been up front about what I believe.” This East Texas business owner not only refused service to a gay couple, he doubled down by taking out an ad explaining why.
4. The American Military Partners Association will honor Marine Corps vet Imran Yousuf, who is widely credited with saving more than 70 lives during the Pulse shooting.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: Meet Wayne, an Air Force vet who gets emotional in this video talking about his journey to accepting his trans daughter.