1. “Please, marry me? It’s a yes, no, or maybe.” Tennis legend Martina Navratilova proposed to her girlfriend Julia Lemigova at the U.S. Open over the weekend. The crowd gave the couple a standing ovation.
2. Neil Patrick Harris did Navratilova one better, marrying his partner of 10 years in Italy on Saturday.
3. The Atlantic on whether there is any rational case for banning same-sex marriage.
4. “The time has come to end the divisive national debate as to whether the Constitution mandates same-sex marriage.” It’s not only marriage equality supporters urging the U.S. Supreme Court to take up a case on the matter. Religious groups who oppose it have joined forces to ask the court to decide on it as well. Be careful what you wish for.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: Sign of the times. DirecTV debuts new ad starring a gay couple.