1. The Justice Department made a quiet but significant move on Thursday, bypassing the option to seek dismissal of a case that claims sexual orientation is a type of sex discrimination banned by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
2. “I have no problem with the Seahawks flag. People across all policy beliefs support our Seahawks, but that is not true for gay Pride flags.” A Washington state lawmaker wants to ban Pride flags from flying over state ferries.
3. ABC is refusing to air an ad for the movie “Carol,” saying the film studio needs to “provide more coverage” of Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett, whose bare shoulders are briefly shown during a kissing scene.
4. “I don’t take this career for granted, and I have been given a very special platform through ‘Empire’ to speak on a weekly basis about love and truth and acceptance.” Openly gay “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett covers OUT magazine.
5. OF THE DAY: Here’s the trailer for a new gay web series called “The You and the Me” about two guys who ponder vacuous gay culture, Hollywood life, religion and spirituality.