Though we’re blessed with 365 — or 366 on a leap year — calendar days to show our partners and spouses how much they mean to us, there’s no holiday where love is celebrated quite like it is on Feb. 14.
Last year, American consumers spent more than $18 billion on Valentine’s gifts, according to the National Retail Federation. Chocolate, flowers, fragrances and oversized stuffed animals line most chain store shelves, but for folks looking to surprise their sweetheart with something more special, they may want to turn to locally owned businesses. Holly Berejikian, owner of Sexy Suz Couples Boutique in Athens, said that Valentine’s Day is usually the time of year couples look for higher-end gifts, especially toys.
Georgia Voice did some of the legwork and rounded up best-selling items each from a few shops to inspire your Valentine’s Day shopping. Gift whips — err, wrap — not included.
Brushstrokes Pleasures and Gift Card Boutique
1510-D Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta, GA 30824
From the practical to the personal, Brushstrokes and GCB have a slew of options to get your partner.
- SOCK IT TO ME socks, $12
- Love is Art Luvtone Blue abstract intimate painting kit, $60
- Lay-n-Go Traveler dopp kit and utility bag, $29.95
- Torched Pinewood Pilsner growler soy candle, $30
- Ceramix Pleasure Pottery, $54.99
- I <3 Geeks, I <3 Nerds coffee mugs, $10
- Jax & Bones dog toys, $13 and up
- “This Man Can Cook!” apron, $24.99
- “I’d Hit That” tea towel, $13
- Mad Style scarves, $14.99
Boy Next Door Menswear
1447 Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta, GA 30309
Boy Next Door has a slew of gift ideas for the fashion-forward individual. These undergarments are gifts your partner unwraps to start off with, but you’ll be able to strip down the wrappings and enjoy them as well.
- 2EROS brand X-Series Commando brief, $29.99
- Andrew Christian Suck It brief, $20
- Manstore Rainbow Pants, $33
- McKillop Bulge Envy Sport Jock, $26
- Stud Scout brief, $32.99
Sexy Suz Couples Boutique
4124 Atlanta Highway, Bogart, GA 30622
Toys, lingerie and games are just starter ideas for what to get your partner. This year, one of the top trends is that toys traditionally considered for same-sex couples are becoming more mainstream — and vice-versa, allowing couples room for more experimentation on Feb. 14.