Avian & Chantrece: Adventure dates and Bible study

Avian is the deputy director of The Vision Community Foundation and publicist for author Lakara Foster. She is also director of public relations and sponsorship for Traxx Girls, the renowned party promotion group that puts on some of the best parties for lesbians around the country. Chantrese works at Coca-Cola.

Was it love at first sight? Were you friends first?

Avian: No, She favored an ex of mine and I immediately went the other way. We became friends over time but it took a long time for me to want to be her friend. I had to see what type of person she was personally before I allowed her to even be called friend. She volunteered with Vision Community Foundation a lot which allowed the door of a blossoming friendship to take place.

Chantrece: It wasn’t love at first sight because I was in a relationship. I was just amazed at how beautiful she was. I tried being her friend. Two years later she decided to be all right with that — just all right.

What do you love about each other?

Avian: I love how much Chantrece supports me in my endeavors. She really has my back when it comes to my journey as an entrepreneur. I love how caring and giving she is. I love how she makes me smile and has an interesting sense of humor. I love to see her smile.

Chantrece: I love the fact that my girlfriend has such a positive spirit. She is so motivating and such a go-getter. Her character is something people love and she is very consistent and most of all genuine.

What are some of your secrets to keeping your relationship fresh and romantic?

Avian: We go on adventurous date and trips and make sure we talk (communication is key). We also go to Vision Church of Atlanta Sunday service and Bible Study where we have time to really break down the characterization of relationships and work towards building and maintaining a healthy one.

Chantrece: Keeping the gay world out of our business and making God number one in our business is my number one reason for a healthy relationship. We also attend Pastor Clay’s Life Class. That has helped so much.

What is the most romantic thing you have done for each other?

Avian: She surprises me with beautiful picnics or moments where we are doing a fun activity such as painting. I surprise her with beautiful notes everywhere and make her favorite dishes.

Chantrece: The most romantic thing I’ve done for her was decorate her office with her favorite things and spelled out “I love you A and W” (Avian Watson) with A&W root beer soda cans.

Do you go on dates? What kind of dates?

Avian: We go on adventures! We try to have date (day and/or night) at lease once a week or when our schedules are not so busy. We go to New Orleans a lot as a date adventure. We also just drive and get lost and dine at a new restaurant or check out a new adventurous scene. We have game nights with friends or to be more creative and build ginger bread houses, paint pottery, go to a comedy club or live music concert. We also have had beautiful picnics in the park. We celebrate our birthdays out of town so we can enjoy the highlights of the cities and towns we travel to.

Chantrece: Yes we love our dates — she calls them adventures. Now that I work a lot we try and go on my off days or her lunch breaks. We love going to the movies. I wasn’t a movie person until I met her. Now I love catching the latest movies instead of waiting for them to come out on RedBox.

What advice would you like to give to other couples?

Chantrece: I would say to other couples — find a woman that loves you for you. Not a materialistic woman but a woman that appreciates rather than expects nice things from her partner. Find a woman that loves the Lord, a woman that’s genuine and has great character.

Avian: Enjoy the differences within each other. Celebrate the challenges you overcome. Don’t ever stop dating each other and make sure you talk about your challenges in a healthy way!

Top photo: Avian Watson (left) and Chantrece Buggs plan to spend a pre-Valentine Day date in New Orleans during Mardi Gras before partying in Atlanta with Traxx Girls, the company Watson works for. (by Shinehog.com)