Metro Atlanta continues to rank in the top five cities in the nation for the highest rates of new HIV infections, while Georgia, in 2013, was the state with the second-most new HIV infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Numerous events are taking place across Atlanta and Georgia to commemorate World AIDS Day on Dec. 1 and to raise awareness.
* All events are on Dec. 1 unless otherwise noted.
• The Strategy to End AIDS in Fulton County, a planning breakfast with Fulton Commission Chair John Eaves, Commissioner Joan Garner and the Fulton County Task Force on HIV/AIDS 8:30 a.m. Fulton County Government Center Assembly Hall 141 Pryor St. SW email@example.com 404-612-6133
• Georgia Equality’s policy-focused luncheon with the theme, “Getting to Zero: Zero new infections, Zero discrimination and Zero AIDS-related deaths.” Youth HIV Policy Advisors will present their 2016 HIV Prevention & Care policy agenda to Metro Atlanta elected officials, community leaders and media. 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. National Center for Civil & Human Rights, 100 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW atlantapride.org/event/world-aids-day
• Coastal Health Department event including music, free HIV testing 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Forsyth Park Drayton Street and East Park Ave. Savannah, GA 31401
• Coastal Health Department event with live music, vendors, education 5:30–8 p.m. Mary Ross Park Bay & Gloucester Street, Brunswick, GA 31520 www.gachd.org
• Georgia Department of Public Health District 4 free HIV testing (Butts, Carroll, Coweta, Fayette, Heard, Henry, Lamar, Meriwether, Pike, Spalding, Troup and Upson counties) Various times and locations www.district4health.org/clinic-sites
• Lelavision, Moving in the Spirit and Mausiki Scales and metro Atlanta universities present a full day of artistry, education and free HIV testing throughout Atlanta 10–11 a.m.—Collegiate World AIDS Day Kickoff at Emory University with performances by Mausiki Scales & Common Ground Collective and Emory Dance, followed by speakers. Also on display on the Emory Quad will be the largest collegiate collection of the AIDS Memorial Quilt. Emory Atwood Chemistry Center, 1515 Dickey Drive
• Ethics Panel on HIV/AIDS Stigma and Disease: “Can We Eradicate HIV/AIDS?” Prior to the start of the panel will be a screening of Lelavision’s short film, “Going #RetroViral” 11:30 a.m. Emory University, Ethics Commons 102, 1531 Dickey Drive
• Performance by Mausiki Scales & Common Ground Collective 12:30 p.m. Clark Atlanta University Student Center 223 James P. Brawley Drive NW
• Performance by Okorie Johnson 1:30 p.m. Clark Atlanta University Student Center 223 James P. Brawley Drive NW
• Healthy Love Workshop for AUC students by Sister Love 4:30 p.m. Morehouse College, Forbes Arena, 833 Fair St.
• Collegiate World AIDS Day Finale Rally. Speakers include: Masonia Traylor, CDC Act Against AIDS Ambassador; Rev. Duncan Teague, Morehouse College; Dr. Sinead Younge, professor of psychology at Morehouse College; Rob Woods, senior field organizer for Georgia Equality; and Reggie Smith of Rise Multimedia. The rally will be live webcast at rise4war.com/broadcasts 7 p.m. Morehouse College Morehouse Sale Hall, 830 Westview Drive SW
Free HIV testing for students
• Georgia State University 10 a.m.–2 p.m. GSU Student Recreation Center healthpromotion.gsu.edu
• Emory University 10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. On the Quad www.emoryquiltonthequad.weebly.com
• Clark Atlanta University Noon–3:30 p.m. CAU Student Center www.clarku.edu/offices/health
• Morehouse College Noon–4 p.m. Forbes Arena www.morehouse.edu/student_life/studenthealth
Free HIV testing open to the public
• Grady Family Planning Clinic 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 80 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE www.gradyhealth.org/specialty/family-planning-clinic.html
• Fulton County Department of Health and Wellness 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Various sites throughout the county www.fultoncountyga.gov/communicable-disease-prevention/3679-clinic-hours-and-locations
• NAESM: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. 2140 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SW www.naesm.org
• AID Atlanta 10 a.m.–7 p.m. 1605 Peachtree St. NE www.aidatlanta.org
Other locations providing free HIV testing
• Positive Impact Health Centers/MISTER Center 10 a.m.–6 p.m. 1117 West Peachtree St. NW www.mistercenter.org
• Positive Impact Health Centers 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. 3075 Breckenridge Blvd. Suite 415 Duluth, GA 30096