Brian Kemp Refused to Respond to GLAAD LGBTQ Acceptance Survey

GLAAD released the results of their “Electing Acceptance” candidate survey which questions candidates on LGBTQ acceptance.

The survey – the only national candidate survey dedicated to LGBTQ acceptance – asked candidates how comfortable they are in seven situations:

-having a member of the LGBTQ community at their place of worship;

-learning that a member of their family is LGBTQ;

-learning that their doctor is LGBTQ;

-if their child has a lesson on LGBTQ history in school;

-seeing an LGBTQ co-worker’s wedding picture;

-with their child being placed in a classroom with an LGBTQ teacher;

-seeing a same-sex couple holding hands.

351 candidates running for U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, Governor, and Lieutenant Governor responded to the survey. This number includes 240 Democrats, 32 Republicans, and 79 third-party candidates.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp refused to participate in the survey, contrasting his opponent Stacey Abrams’ proclaimed support of LGBTQ Americans.

“Americans deserve to know if the candidates they are voting for match their own values, including their acceptance of LGBTQ people – but Brian Kemp bombed the test,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, GLAAD President and CEO.

“Acceptance should never be a partisan issue,” she continued, “but Brian Kemp’s record on equality and his unwillingness to engage with out community on this simple questionnaire are strong signals that he and his party are not on the side of LGBTQ Georgians.”

Kemp has an anti-LGBTQ record which includes the backing of so-called “religious freedom” legislation that’s aimed at discriminating against LGBTQ individuals.

Abrams was one of the seven candidates in Georgia to respond the survey, along with Democrats Lisa Ring (District 1), Chuck Enderlin (District 3), Carolyn Bourdeaux (District 7), Josh McCall (District 9), and Francys Johnson (District 12), as well as Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Ted Metz. All six candidates were categorized as “allies,” meaning they responded they are “comfortable” across all seven scenarios.

No Republican candidates from Georgia responded to the survey.

Of the 240 Democratic candidates that answered nationwide, 99% were categorized as allies. The remaining 1% were categorized as “detached supporters,” meaning they reported various levels of comfort around LGBTQ people across the seven scenarios.

55% of the 32 Republicans categorized as allies, and of the 40% who were detached supporters, almost all reported discomfort when asked about their children having a lesson on LGBTQ history in school.

81% of the third-party responders categorized as allies.

GLAAD’s acceptance survey is aimed to equip LGBTQ Americans and allies with the information necessary to vote for candidates that will champion LGBTQ equality. GLAAD is working to ensure the largest midterm turnout of LGBTQ and allied voters in American history.

Election day is November 6, but Georgians can vote early now through November 2.  Find an early voting location near you here and your polling place here.