1. “He informs us that we were mistaken. Oops! Our bad. We would now like to present, our wonderful son – Kai Bogert. Loving you is the easiest thing in the world. Tidy your room.” The mother of an Australian teenager placed a light-hearted “retraction” in the births section of their local newspaper after their son came out as transgender.
2. “If I look at the science I would be very wary of a one-year deferral. It sounds to me like we’re talking about policy and civil rights rather than our primary duty, which is transfusion safety.” FDA advisers warned the agency against changing the gay blood donation ban from a lifetime to a one-year deferral at a hearing yesterday.
3. “It’s so critical to the health and well-being of those students, and it’s going to be so helpful to have that guidance in writing so that schools understand what their obligations are.” The Department of Education has stated a clear stance on gender identity for the first time, saying transgender students in public schools should be enrolled in single-sex classes that align with how they live their lives day-to-day.
4. Disney princes stripped down for a World AIDS Day project, thanks to an Italian artist and activist.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: The trailer for a new documentary on the lives of mall Santa Clauses called “I Am Santa Claus,” including a gay Santa.