1. Late last week, the US Senate Democrats introduced a bill that would take gender-specific marriage references out of the tax code.
2. A number of city police departments began openly recruiting transgender officers, their response to the president moving to ban these Americans from military service on the basis of their gender identity.
3. United Healthcare is under fire for a letter it sent in July, telling a gay man he was ineligible for coverage for the pre-exposure prophylaxis drug Truvada because he’s at high risk of contracting HIV.
4. Calling all LGBT teens! Human Rights Campaign and University of Connecticut need your help with this survey.
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: Small spaces don’t mean you can’t have a garden oasis. Manhattan, New York, resident Andre Morris shows you how — with some help from “RuPaul’s Drag Race” stars Jiggly Caliente and Phi Phi O’Hara.