1. The 2016 Oscar nominations were announced Thursday morning with lesbian drama “Carol” getting the biggest snub by missing out on a Best Picture nod, although Cate Blanchett nabbed a Best Actress nomination and Rooney Mara made the list for Best Supporting Actress. Also Eddie Redmayne was nominated for Best Actor for his role as transgender pioneer Lile Elbe in “The Danish Girl.” And the Best Original Song nominations have an LGBT flair with trans singer Antony Hegarty making the list for “Manta Ray” from the documentary “Racing Extinction” and out singer Sam Smith scoring his first Oscar nomination for the song “Writing’s On The Wall” from the latest Bond film “Spectre.” Here’s the full list.
2. Speaking of movies, the controversial “Stonewall” got nominated for “Campy Flick of the Year” by The Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association.
3. The man who fatally strangled a Houston drag queen in 2001 is scheduled to be executed on Jan. 20.
4. The New York Times says “Was he gay, bisexual or Bowie? Yes.”
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: There’s a new gay web series called “Last Will & Testicle,” a comedic look at when a young gay man gets diagnosed with testicular cancer. Here’s episode one of the six-episode season. (h/t Towleroad)