1. Two members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee criticized Secretary of State nominee Mike Pompeo for his anti-LGBT statements. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) cited Pompeo’s opposition to gay rights as a reason for voting against his nomination.
2. Washington, D.C. police have released a video of an anti-gay attack. The alleged gay-bashing, which happened on U St. early on Sunday morning, is being investigated as possible hate crime. The police said that the attackers yelled “homophobic slurs” during the assault. According to the Washington Blade, “The video shows two of the suspects kicking and punching one of the victims in the head. It shows the second victim falling unconscious onto what appears to be a street crosswalk.”
3. A swimmer and his gay high school football star boyfriend are celebrating prom in Missouri. According to Towleroad, Jake Bain, the best football player at John Burroughs High, will be signing with Indiana State. But first, he’s going to the prom with Hunter Sigmund, who plays water polo in addition to swimming. They are the only openly gay couple at the school.
4. An investigation has found that a Facebook page is arranging clandestine “sex for rent” arrangements which target young homeless men. According to BuzzFeed, certain landlords have made explicit posts which solicit gay sex in exchange for housing: “At best, impoverished young men are seeking refuge in places where they are at risk of sexual exploitation. At worst, teenagers are being kept in domestic prisons where all personal boundaries are breached, where their lives are in danger.”
5. VIDEO OF THE DAY: The trailer for a new film, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, has arrived: